Re: cURL downloading speed

From: Gonzalo <alvenn_db_at_yahoo.es>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:31:45 +0200

Hi Dan,

After some debugging just the way you suggested me, I think I have found
something that maybe can help me. I have discovered that the
command-line FTP port uses always remote port 20 for data transmission,
while my cURL FTP client uses remote ports in various ranges, between
44000 and 44120. I have read something about this some time ago that one
of this modes is called "active FTP" and the other one "passive FTP",
but I don't remember which one is which. I belive that the solution to
my problem can be to conmute my cURL-based FTP client. I have used the
options CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPSV (zero and non-zero) and
CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPTR (zero and non-zero) and the result is that the
download port is still the same. Maybe I am doing something wrong to
configure it adequately.

What do you think?

Kind regars

Dan Fandrich wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:40:59PM +0200, Gonzalo wrote:
>

>>Thanks for your answer. I have downloaded curl 7.14.0 (which I see in
>>the cURL page that it is the latest version), and the speed is the same.
>>I have used what you told me about the VERBOSE option to see the
>>commands and reduce them to the minimum, but the result is exactly the
>>same: 30 Kbps using command-line FTP and 3 Kbps using cURL.
>>
>>I have noticed a curious thing. Instead of using the FTP server that I
>>am using, I used, just for a try, to download a file from an FTP server
>>of my intranet and the speed was astonishing: near 10 Mbps, but this
>>server is not the one that I am interested to use.
>>
>>I have tried several libcurl options, but the results were exactly the same.
>>
>>I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?
>>

>If the commands sent by curl and your other client are exactly the same,
>then there isn't much left that could cause a difference. Perhaps there's
>a traffic-shaping firewall in the way that could slow curl down. Other
>perhaps there's some kind of socket option that curl uses/should use that
>accounts for the difference. You might upload some comparative Ethereal
>traces of the two transfers somewhere for people here to take a gander at.

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es