Re: cross-compiling curl for PPC -- successful but weird

From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

(i'll break up my followups over a few posts to keep from having one
humongous reply.)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 07:55:59PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > note that i'm not even selecting SSL support, but explicitly
> > selecting krb4. also, i needed to use "--with-random" since, if i
> > didn't, the configure failed claiming that i can't do file tests
> > while cross-compiling.
>
> Yes, --with-random always appears to be necessary when
> cross-compiling.

i've noticed this "problem" in trying to cross-compile other programs,
such as "lftp". of course, it makes sense that, if you're
cross-compiling, it's pointless to be checking for file existence.
but wouldn't it make more sense to just skip the check, rather than
aborting the configure?

"lftp" was particularly bad about this -- it simply bailed. why not
something like

  if cross-compiling ; then
        echo "Skipping check for /dev/urandom, deal with it."
  else
        ... processing for /dev/urandom ...
  fi

wouldn't that be a cleaner approach?