Re: Using the FILE protocol

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:03:12 -0700

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:49:32PM +0200, Gisle Vanem wrote (privately):
> BTW. IE6 translates "file:\\a\b\c" into "file:///\\a\b\c" internally which
> looks
> really weird. What the extra '/' is supposed to be, I don't know.

There is a draft SMB URL scheme specification at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crhertel-smb-url-08.txt It would
be trivial to add support for a subset of smb: URLs to libcurl on Windows;
to quote the draft:

   In general, a UNC string specifying a resource available via SMB
   protocol can be converted into an SMB URI string by simply adding
   the "smb:" or "cifs:" prefix and reversing the direction of all of
   the separating slashes.

Essentially, the smb: URL scheme would convert to a file: URL internal to
libcurl. That would hopefully make it more obvious how someone is expected to
achieve this kind of transfer on Windows, and make this kind of question
appear less often on the list (one would hope).

>>> Dan