Re: upcoming fun

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:55:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Alexander Lazic wrote:

>> In what way would that be better? It would simply add yet another lib to
>> the list of dependencies, as I see it.
>
> As i understand you need a lib which can handle DES and MD4 stuff for NTLM.
>
> With this lib you don't need a ssl-lib for ntlm-auth, if anybody want a
> ntlm-auth but not ssl.
>
> At the moment libcurl _need_ a ssl-lib for ntlm-auth, as i know.

We either need code in libcurl that does DES and MD4, or we use a lib that
provides them.

1. OpenSSL provides them, so when we built with that there's no problem.

2. GnuTLS uses libgcrypt for encryption, and that too offers DES and MD4
functions. We just haven't adjusted the libcurl NTLM code to use the libgcrypt
functions.

3. Of course, if a user wants to build libcurl without SSL suppport but with
NTLM support, we could offer a build against another crypto lib. But this
situation has not yet happened and I think the point 2 above is much more
likely to hit people.