Re: starting with SSL FTP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:37:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 ivan.makale_at_tiscali.it wrote:

> I apologize in advance for the low level of my question. I have to use the
> curl library for SSL/TLS FTP transaction. I started with the "simplessl.c"
> example, changing the HTTPS URL into an FTPS URL, trying a "get" operation,
> with no result until now... I saw the instructions on
> http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html.

You basically do FTP-SSL by using an ordinary ftp:// URL and setting the
CURLOPT_FTP_SSL option. And yes, the CA cert "problem" you refer to above also
applies to FTP-SSL.

(You can also use ftps:// URLs, but that is a deprecated approach according
to the standards.)

> I could also try wirh the command line curl. The main problem is that I'm
> new of SSL and I need a working example to start.

Try this:

         curl -k --ftp-ssl ftp://mysite.com/

> Is there a list of supported FTP servers? Is curl OK with ProFTPD,
> bsdftpd-ssl, vsftpd?

curl adheres to the FTP-SSL/TLS suggested standards so you can pick any server
that does the same. Paul Ford-Hutchinson maintains a list on his page:

         http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html