RE: a curl_multi_fdset() replacement? (TODO-RELEASE #55)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:13:00 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Audun Arnesen Nordal wrote:

> IOCP:
> send: data ready -> WSASend() -> WaitForMultipleObjects() -> done
> recv: ready for data -> WSARecv() -> WaitForMultipleObjects() -> done
>
> Unix:
> send: data ready -> select() -> resource ready -> send() -> done
> recv: ready for data -> select() -> data available -> recv() -> done
>
> I realize that this is pretty hard to do since the semantics are fairly
> orthogonal. I suppose all socket mangling would have to be separated into a
> layer on it's own for this to work...

In my view, this is just about calling the read callback first, then wait for
the socket to allow writing, instead of the other way around - for sending at
least. I doubt there is a noticable performance gain in most real-world apps.

I don't see how this is relevant to this new suggestion function though.

Or am I missing something?