SSL not enabled in Win32 build?

From: Jim <lcl_at_juji.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:50:40 +1300

Hi all,

I've searched the list archive (and just plain google), but
I keep coming up with help for people who haven't correctly
compiled in SSL support. When I try to be more specific
about my problem, I get no results :(

I'm trying to use libcurl for Win32 from Xbase++ (clipper
style language), and it works for HTTP URLs, but for HTTPS
it tells me that libcurl was built with SSL disabled. I
downloaded this file: curl-7.12.3-win32-ssl-devel.zip
from curl.haxx.se, which seems to indicate it should have
SSL compiled in (I also tried 7.12.2). I am unfortunately
not in a position to compile libcurl for myself, as I don't
have MSVC.

Is there any reason (besides support not being compiled in)
that I might see this error message? I have libssl32.dll
and libeay32.dll in the same directory as libcurl.dll, as
well as the curl-ca-bundle.crt from the plain curl package.
I'm sure someone else would have noticed if the build was
mistakenly missing SSL support, so I'm betting there's
something wrong at my end, but I can't figure out what it
might be. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Jim