Windows build problems

From: Christopher R. Palmer <crpalmer_at_vivisimo.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:44:46 -0500

We use curl as part of a large piece of software. During the build, we
have some non-standard steps which means the problems I am seeing are
almost definitely my own. However, I'm hoping that someone here who has
been working on the windows build of cURL will be able to help me. Sadly,
the last time we upgraded curl was version 7.11.1 and now I'm trying to
upgrade to 7.12.3. The windows build process has certainly changed a lot
since then.

After running nmake vc-ssl-zlib, I have a functioning curl.exe and a
libcurl.lib. Much later in my build process, linking my code which uses
the multi interface reports:

LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_global_init" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_slist_free_all" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_slist_append" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_easy_cleanup" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_easy_setopt" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_easy_init" imported
LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol "_curl_easy_getinfo" imported
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_version
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_cleanup
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_perform
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_add_handle
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_init
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_fdset
libmisc.lib(fetch.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__curl_multi_info_read

As I said, this is likely my error in my build process. Unfortunately, I
have no idea how the "__imp__" symbols are involved in the whole process
which is making it somewhat challenging to debug.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions (or fixes!) as well as any
information from people that know how the exporting and definition of the
_imp_ symbols work (for a static library).

Thanks!
Chris.

--
Christopher R. Palmer                     palmer_at_vivisimo.com
Chief Technology Officer                  www.vivisimo.com