Re: curl 7.12.2 compile fail on Mac OS X

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:15:26 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Jim Napier wrote:

(CC'ing the libcurl list as well since there might be some clueful user there
who might be able to help out here. Problem was stated originally in this
mail: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2004-11/0042.html)

> the OpenSSL 0.9.7e I compiled is in a private area I'm linking against. The
> OpenSSL version that is actually installed on this machine is 0.9.6e. I can
> see this if I run "openssl version". So even though I'm linking correctly
> the section of code that redefines these symbols is being set based on the
> system's version of OpenSSL. I guess the --with-ssl option doesn't change
> that.

The code that refines those symbols changes them to *lowercase* if the version
is detected to be older than 0.9.7. Since you get a problem with the uppercase
version, it means the code didn't redefine them and thus considers it 0.9.7 or
later.

To me, the failing command line looks correct since it points ld to a
directory that seems to be for openssl 0.9.7.

But I don't know much about Mac OS X particulars when it comes to linking,
file formats and search paths etc.

> What is the workaround?

I hope one of the Mac OS X users that has done this before can step forward
and tell us.