HTTPS through proxy

From: Karthik Ramakrishnan <karthik_at_tellme.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:36:50 -0800

Hi guys, I need more understanding on how https works with a proxy server. I
am using curl lib in our system. So here is my question -

------------------------------ -----------
---------------------

| System + curl lib | ------------ > | Proxy | ------- > | HTTPS
Server |

We see curl lib printing out "Re-using connection" in our log files. Whats
unclear to me is - everytime I issue a https request I see new socket
connection being opened from our system to the proxy server. I was able to
find this out thru netstat. But there is only one connection from the HTTPS
Server to the proxy. Can someone shed more light on this ? Is this the right
behaviour ?

Thanks in advance,

-k