distributing a compiled program using libcurl

From: Flavio Tischhauser <ftischhauser_at_fladivision.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:26:08 +0100

Hi everyone

First of all, thanks to everyone involved on the development of
curl/libcurl - it's really great!

I developed a CGI program in C/C++ which uses libcurl to make it's own
HTTP requests. When compiled on my development machine (SuSE Linux 9.0,
using the default libcurl), I get a 175KB file which is ok.

I want to provide this CGI to others in a precompiled binary form, so
others can use my CGI without having libcurl installed. I compiled my
program again with the "--static" flag and got a whopping 4.5MB file -
pretty big for a CGI program. Or does anyone know if Apache/Linux
caching is intelligent enough to prevent the additional
filesystem/memory load?

Is there a way to strip any unused functions (it only needs to do simple
HTTP Posts, no SSL, no zip etc) Or do you have other tips on how to
reduce the size of my program and still run it on every "standard linux
server"?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Flavio Tischhauser