RE: "Separate DLL names for debug/release on Win32""

From: Gisle Vanem <giva_at_bgnett.no>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:37:32 +0200

Scott Cantor wrote:

> The only nit was that there probably should be two DEF files, with a debug
> copy changed so the internal library name is libcurld. This used to matter a
> lot in the really old days, but I don't know how big a deal it is on Windows
> any more.

It's still needed. But why can't we remove the .def-file(s) all together? And
mark every exportable variable and function correctly. I suggest we add
something like this to curl.h:

#if defined(WIN32) || defined(NETWARE)
  #ifdef BUILDING_LIBCURL
    #define CURL_EXTERN __declspec(dllexport)
  #else
    #define CURL_EXTERN __declspec(dllimport)
  #endif
#else
  #define CURL_EXTERN extern /* or empty */
#endif

Thus there should be no need for .def-files.

--gv