SSL random initialization

From: Joerg Mueller-Tolk <curl_at_mueller-tolk.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:35:44 +0200

Hi Folks

One of our customers gets an error reported by Curl that references an
OpenSSL error:
error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not seeded

I found the OpenSSL docu (http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#USER1)
saying that the random number generator needs certain initialization (at
least 128 bit, ...).
I browsed the curl sources and found the code in 'ssluse.c', that seems
to do the initialization of the random number generator used by OpenSSL.

Has anyone an idea why this error is only very rarely reported?
On those machines where it is reported the error happens any time I try
to do a HTTPS-Post.
What can I do to prevent the error?

Any hints welcome.
Joerg M-T