Re: FTP_IGNORE_PASSIV_IP

From: <ED_Hingsbergen_at_cisgi.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:22:39 -0400

Dan Fandrich wrote:
> I don't know if any ftp servers that can actually cope with this kind of
> network setup, but this arrangement seems a bit odd to me. There's no
> technical reason an ftp server couldn't do this.

Yeah, I agree that there's no technical reason that it can't, but I'll let
you know if I ever encounter one that isn't like this in a commercial
setting!

> Have you considered avoiding PASV mode in your application? If your
machine
> is not behind its own NAT firewall, you should be able to use an
unmodified
> curl to communicate.

My client is also behind a NAT firewall. [Aren't all Internet hosts? :)]
And besides, my network admins don't like the idea of having to open as
many ports as would be needed for "active" mode, even to a specified IP
address. And in many cases, my data exchange partners require passive mode.

Although I have only configured links with 3 FTPS hosts so far, indications
are strong that I will probably always encounter this type of configuration
in the insurance industry. I am truly astonished that I have not heard any
comments from anyone who encounters this same phenomenon. Perhaps most
other developers in my situation prefer to simply purchase the commercial
client.

I am hoping to configure an FTPS host of our own in the future, I will
certainly do whatever I must to make it report the public IP address in
PASV responses!