RE: Multithreaded problem on HP-UX

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:31:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Andrei Tarassov wrote:

> For curl I specified the following options (-D_REENTRANT is most probably
> redundant): CFLAGS="-O2 -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L -D_REENTRANT
> -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS" LIBS=-lpthread

I'm happy you made it work and thanks for posting the info here. I'm sure
it'll help other people too.

It would be really nice if we could work together to make curl build like this
out-of-the-gox. I can fix whatever configure change is needed and it would
show up in the daily snapshots (or when built from cvs).

_REENTRANT should already be defined in curl/lib/setup.h (if NEED_REENTRANT is
defined in lib/config.h, which I hope it is in your case).

I can't see why -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS" LIBS=-lpthread would have any
impact at all in libcurl since it doesn't use pthreads (or anything else that
is related to threads).

Do you think defining _POSIX_C_SOURCE to 199506L would be a sensible thing to
do unconditionally for builds on HP-UX?

BTW, we do lack HP-UX in the autobuild system. If you have the opportunity to
join in, it would improve curl.