Re: cURL sometimes crashes under MS Windows after DNS problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:54:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Andreas Rieke wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your detailled answer. First of all, yes, the crash happens
> ALWAYS after the previous call ended with a name resolution error. My first
> step will be to try out cURL 7.12.1 to see if that one has the same problem.
> If so, I can either change to the unthreaded gethostbyname (BTW: How can I
> do so?)

You do that by making sure USE_THREADING_GETHOSTBYNAME doesn't get defined in
lib/setup.h - which it is by default - and recompile. Just delete the #define
around line 265.

> or I can try to compile a DEBUG version hoping that the debugger tells me
> where it crashes. As I am not an expert concerning the internals of cURL,
> the same question arises for the debug version: How can I do so?

I figure you do that by passing on the "enable debug" option to your compiler.
For MSVC, you should be able to just 'nmake [target]' in the lib/ directory
with a suitable debug target to get a debug version built . I think 'nmake
debug' or 'nmake debug-dll' are suitable.