Re: curl_easy_setopt + CURLOPT_URL option

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:54:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Jonathan D'Auteuil wrote:

> I'm experiencing some problem wit libcurl, more specifically when
> transferring a file over ftp. For some reason all transfers fail if the
> string representing the complete path for the file is longer than 63
> characters. This is the string specified for the CURLOPT_URL option. In that
> case, it fails with the error code 6, CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST. Shortening
> the path, or using a shorter filename works fine as long as the resulting
> url is shorter than 63 charatecters (ex:
> ftp://ftp.server.com/some/path/to/a/file.txt). I could not find any mention
> of a limit in the api doc. Is this a bug or I missed something?

There is no such tiny limit within libcurl. What version on what platform is
this?

Are you getting this problem even if you just append to the path part of the
URL? If so, then I'm very puzzled.

If you get it when you add text to the host name part, then it sounds like you
have a messed up DNS server or something.

Does the same problem occur if you use a HTTP URL?

Recent versions of libcurl has no URL length limit, no host name length limit
and no FTP path length limit.