Re: Problems when using the Curl "multi" interface (curl 7.12.0)

From: Henrik Stoerner <henrik_at_hswn.dk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:48:55 +0200

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:59:28AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
>
> (This topic really seems more appropriate for the libcurl list, cc'ed
> there.)

OK, moved my response there. For those who haven't seen my original
posting, it's at http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2004-07/0088.html

> Have you tried using ares for name resolving? Remember that name resolves
> are synchronous even when using the multi interface on *nix systems by
> default. It can make a single URL setup take a lot of time.

This is interesting. Just building libcurl with c-ares did not change
much, but then I increased the timeouts. Before they were connect:5
secs, full xfer: 10 secs. When increasing them to 30 and 60 secs
respectively, all of the transfers succeed.

(I also tried NOT using c-ares, but just having the longer timeouts.
This does NOT work - I get lots of timeouts. Quite odd).

BUT: The times are much longer than what I see when using the simple
interface - orders of magnitude, in fact. With the simple interface,
fetching a URL takes a fraction of a second; using the multi-interface
both the connect and the total time are 5, 10 or even 20 seconds.
For comparison, see the log file at
http://www.hswn.dk/~henrik/curl/log-all-ares+longertimerout.txt

--
Henrik Storner