Re: Regression: does not ignore HTTP/1.1 headers when -0 isspecified

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 02:46:46 +0200

Hi,

> Fixing libcurl by adding ugly work-arounds for stupid servers have been
> done
> before, but is this a widely common problem produced in a repeatable way
> in
> the server end? I mean, could we translate a received negative number to
> the "actual" positive amount?
I assume yes, but even if we can it is a bad idea I think....

>> Apache shouldn't be returning HTTP 1.1 headers to an HTTP 1.0 request,
>> but it does. I think the "correct" behavior would be for curl to just
>> ignore the 1.1 headers.
no! The correct behavior would be to fix it in Apache 1.3, create a patch, create a bug report at BugZilla, re-open the bug report and mark it with the keyword 'PatchAvailable', and then attach your patch.

>> Please let me know what you think; we'd like to get 7.12.0 (or whatever's
>> new when Mac OS X 10.4 is released) into the system.

> I think it would be nice to work with these servers, although it depends
> on what kind of change it'll take to do it.
IMO that's absolutely wrong to intruduce ugly hacks for buggy servers!
Instead tell them to update to Apache2 which is anyway the recent version; 1.3 is in mature phase...

Guenter.