Problem linking libcurl version 7.9.8 with debugged C Program

From: Nicholas Parsons <nicholas.parsons_at_marlinholdings.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:31:10 -0400

Hello Everyone,

There is an C program I wrote which I am trying to debug in GDB on a
NCR S26 UNIX box. When I compile each source code file with -g and
the compilation stage completes, the linker kicks in and attempts
to link the libcurl.a archive with the program. At this point
I am receiving the following error message:

  "UX:ld: ERROR: /usr/local/lib/libcurl.a: libelf error: Memory error:
vm stats elf_begin:"

If I take out the -g during the compilation stage, I receive
no error messages and the executable is produced without incident.

Why is the linker/loader giving this error message and also
is it possible to step through the code in the libcurl.a archive
in GDB?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I truly appreciate it.

Regards,
~~Nick