Re: PATCH: A fix to allow OpenVMS to (HTTP) POST data largerthan64K...

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:53:28 +0200

Hi,
> We already do "brute force" builds on other systems without configure,
> such as
> MSVC on win32 and Netware. The "only" thing that is required is that the
> tests/testcurl.pl script is modified to accept an argument that says
> you're
> using VMS and then you'd do the commands in there using VMS-style...

here's my --unfinished-- hack for the testcurl.pl script:
http://www.gknw.com/test/curl/

I've named it testcurl2.pl so that it can co-exist with the original one; simply put testcurl2.pl into ./curl/tests/ and call testcurl2.pl instead; I call it from a shell script which initially sets some environment vars, most important is CURL_TARGET; if you set this to vms and add some lines to testcurl2.pl you should be able to run at least the autobuild without tests...; just search the script for 'netware' and see where I do special things, and decide if you need that too....; and perhaps you need to add some rules to the makefiles so that the auto-generated files can be created, f.e. ca-bundle.h, getdate.c, hugehelp.c...; look at Makefile.netware the simple way...

Daniel, what about rewriting testcurl.pl a bit? The more platforms we need to support, the more problems we will get and more ugly hacks are needed...; so perhaps it's time now to make some decisions:
- should we require CURL_TARGET be set for any target that is not build with autoconf and friends?
- should we introduce a block at the beginning which does correctly setup the internal vars depending on CURL_TARGET?
- and a proposal: should we start with such a rewrite with a testcurl2.pl in CVS, and develop on it, so everybody can test, but we dont break existing autobuilds...?

Guenter.