Re: Win32 build: Makefile.vc6 and /YX

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:15:53 -0400

Gisle Vanem wrote:
> "/YXfilename" does not specify a .PCH as filename. But filename is
> a header that tells VC to skip parsing that header and use the PCH data
> for it. See:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_.2f.yx.asp

Right, but my reading of the "Consistency Rules for /YX" link
(<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_consistency_rules_for_.2f.yx_compiler.asp>)
  implies to me that when the next .c file is encountered, the vc60.pch
file will fail consistency checks and be rebuilt, thus resulting in
wasted effort. Or is it possible the vc60.pch (or vc70.pch for MSVC 7)
simply gets "adjusted" or "improved" with each compilation? That's what
I'm trying to understand.

On a related note, I don't quite see why use of precompiled headers
makes sense in this context at all. They exist to make the 2nd through
nth builds faster at the expense of making the initial build slower and
more complex. Since libcurl is not being developed on Windows, the great
majority of people using Makefile.vc6 will only be doing one build anyway.

M.Biswas