[ curl-Bugs-948950 ] select() in libcurl causes the program to crash

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:51:04 -0700

Bugs item #948950, was opened at 2004-05-05 20:51
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=948950&group_id=976

Category: libcurl
Group: crash

Initial Comment:
Using curl 7.11.2, my program crashed now and then,
could neither find the reason, nor get a stack trace after
receiving SIGSEGV. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours
tracking the bug and found that the crash occurs in libcurl,
in:

lib/connect.c:213

which is a select() call. Further debugging explained the
reasons: having many (over 10k) files mmapped the
socket descriptor for curl (sockfd) was over 10k so using
the std. fd_set was not appropriate since FD_SETSIZE is
only 1024 on my system (Gentoo Linux on 2.6.5)

I couldn't find a simple solution yet, a curl recompile with
-DFD_SETSIZE=4096 did not help (the library overwrites it
I assume).

Sandor Kovacs, sakovacs_at_freemail.hu