[ curl-Bugs-945649 ] curl_easy_perform fails when lots of open fds

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:35:23 -0700

Bugs item #945649, was opened at 2004-04-30 15:35
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=945649&group_id=976

Category: libcurl
Group: wrong behaviour

Initial Comment:
I am using libcurl in an application that potentially has thousands of files open at a time. I use the "easy" functions and they work fine when the application does not have many open files. However when going past a certain number of open files in my application (tested with 1522 and failed), after calling curl_easy_perform libcurl just opens a TCP connection to the target web server and never sends the request. curl_easy_perform eventually returns with a failure as the request times out.

This is definitely not a problem with my HTTP server as when my application using libcurl runs with only a few open files curl works fine on the exact same URL. I'm not sure it makes any difference but my application is multithreaded, however only one thread is existing at the time of the error and that thread is the one used with the curl functions.

Example verbose output:
* About to connect() to myserver.com port 80
* Connected to myserver.com (x.x.x.x) port 80
> * Connection #0 left intact
* Closing connection #0

# curl -V
curl 7.11.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.11.2 OpenSSL/0.9.7d zlib/1.1.4
Protocols: ftp gopher telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: SSL libz NTLM Largefile