IDN

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:05:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi (Gisle and others on the cutting edge libcurl frontier)

So, I finally got 7.11.2 out the door and immediately committed the new
hostip.c files and it feels good. I realize this breaks the build for all non
configure-based builds but I hope I get help updating everything to work for
you all.

I also tried the embryo libidn support and noticed that it isn't done right
yet: we need to do the conversion a lot earlier so that we don't attempt to
resolve the host using the original string but we must resolve the converted
one.

We should also be careful to store the resolved address in the DNS cache with
one of the names and make sure we document that and adjust the code
accordingly. Possibly it could be sensible to cache on the "original" name and
store the converted name in the cache as well to avoid having to convert the
name in case it is already present in the cache.

configure now checks for libidn by default and you can pass on a specific path
to check by using --with-libidn=[PATH].

libidn can be found and read about here:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/