Re: CURLOPT_IPRESOLVE

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:05:42 +0200

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> said:

> Why do we need to print the address? When without a (working) IPv6 stack we
> shouldn't ask for IPv6 addresses anyway, right?

Because I'm working on a threaded version og getaddrinfo(). And as
I said it would be nice to resolve with whatever hints we give it and with
no regard to having a IPv6 stack or not. And print a good reason when
connect() fails; curl -6v http://www.kame.net

* About to connect() to www.kame.net port 80
* Connect failed; Address family not supported

The inet_ntop() would only be needed in TRACE() so we know the resolver
works for AF_INET6. But IMHO it would be nice to say:

* About to connect() to www.kame.net (2001:200:0:8002:203:47ff:fea5:3085) port 80
* Connect failed; Address family not supported

instead.

> We have Paul Vixies' inet_pton.c file already! ;-)

Ah forgot about that. Then adding inet_ntop() would make it more
compete. Allthough not strickly needed since
getnameinfo (..,NI_NUMERICHOST) will succeed after connect()
succeedes.

--gv