Re: Multi interface in Windows fails

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:16:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Andrés García wrote:

> I have just noticed that the multi interface has stopped working in Windows,
> at least when compiled with mingw.
>
> For example, 'multi-single.c' that works with version 7.11.0, in 7.11.1
> hangs as
>
> rc = select(maxfd+1, &fdread, &fdwrite, &fdexcep, &timeout);
>
> always returns '-1' which provokes an infinite loop.

Gosh. Can you figure out _why_ select() returns -1? What does GetLastError()
return?

> Does it still work when compiled with msvc?

If the 7.11.1 multi interface fails with all windows compilers, then I think
we can be sure it isn't used much! ;-/

> Any ideas about where the problem may be?

Actually, I don't even know how to force such an error if I would've wanted
it. Can you figure out what the curl_multi_fdset() function does when called
just before the select() ? It might be what causes this prob.

> Since I now compile using the configure scripts, I tried using the mingw
> makefiles as in other versions, it still didn't work, but at least I fixed
> the makefiles to work in the new versions with the attached patch.

Thanks!

Is there any particuarly good reason to continue providing the mingw makefiles
or can we document how mingw users instead can use the configure-approach? It
would remove the hurdle of maintaing them.