RE: Building curl/libcurl for Windows with VC6

From: hunter <theantigod_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 09:13:44 -0500

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 02:25, David Byron wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, hunter wrote:
>
> > \lib\makefile.vc6 - which I have heavily commented
> >
> > I have included these three files - and I will work on this again
> > tomorrow to see about a better solutions to the export and detecting
> > zlib.
>
> I guess I'm the one who's made changes to lib/Makefile.vc6 lately. FWIW, I
> never build with cfg=release-ssl-dll. Guess I should do that before asking
> Daniel to commit patches. Sorry 'bout that. Guess I have a few things to
> learn about building DLLs too.
>
> Turns out LINKLIBS isn't required for cfg=release-ssl. I'd like to see it
> stay gone, or at least defined as empty, if possible. It's one less
> dependency.
>
> Not sure how I got along without content_encoding.obj but I guess it's
> because the ZLIB stuff wasn't defined. Maybe the way to handle that is to
> add some more configurations (e. g. cfg=release-ssl-zlib and
> release-ssl-dll-zlib)? Or maybe to have things work so that there's no
> default for ZLIB_PATH and if it's defined, zlib gets used?
>
> Other than that, there a few lines that only differ in whitespace that make
> the diffs look bigger than they need to be.
>
> Not quite sure what the state of src/version.h is. Seems like it just needs
> to #include <curl/curlver.h> instead of <curl/curl.h> and the rest may be
> OK.
>
> -DB
David and Daniel,

FWIW, the vc-libcurl-ssl-dll target gave me problems (different) as well
but vc-ssl-dll suits my needs anyway so I concentrated on that one.

I will take some time to check out vc-libcurl-ssl-dll as well later.

I will create new targets for vc-ssl-dll-zlib as you suggest and we can
see how this works out.

Daniel has fixed the version.h issue so that all that needs to be
considered is the unresolved reference to _curlx_strtoll.

I read the notes on this and will look at it in more depth today before
I propose a solution to that does not involve exporting the function
from libcurl.

Chris.