RE: Timeout & crash Issue

From: <Gunn_Fergal_at_emc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:14:08 -0000

Thanks Daniel for your response.

With regard to the libcurl version, I have downloaded the libcurl 7.11.0
version and it is still not timing out. My OS version is Windows 2000 Pro
and I am building the code myself.

The problem is very hard to reproduce, therefore debug, as it is dependent
on another service, I have no control over, not behaving correctly. I am
going to try and dummy a timeout by putting looping code or a wait in the
curl_write_hook() method.
Will curl_easy_perform return after "timeout" seconds if it is in a wait or
looping? Does it specifically look at socket activity or just the time it
takes to execute curl_easy_perform??

Thanks again,

Fergal.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 Gunn_Fergal_at_emc.com
<mailto:Gunn_Fergal_at_emc.com?Subject=RE:%20Timeout%20&%20crash%20Issue>
wrote:

> What we are trying to do is set up a https request to a service which
should
> respond promptly. What we are seeing though is that intermittently the
> response does not come back and the code is blocked waiting for the
service
> to return. It was my understanding that when using the
> "curl_easy_setopt(curl,CURLOPT_TIMEOUT,300);" setting that the
> curl_easy_perform would be interrupted and the code could continue, after
5
> mins in the above code (300 seconds).

That is a correct interpretation indeed. If curl_easy_perform() doesn't
return
after 300 seconds there's a bug in there!

At the time when curl "hangs", can you run an strace on the process or
possibly connect a debugger to it and see exactly what it is doing at the
time? You could possibly also use CURLOPT_DEBUGFUNCTION to get some clues
about where in the process the operation is when it hangs.

Also, I wrote this in a previous reply that you didn't respond to:

Have you tried any more recent versions? We have released no more than 5
updates, and probably solved 100+ bugs since.

Also, what OS are you running this on? Did you build it yourself?