Re: Timeout & crash Issue

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:11:49 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 Gunn_Fergal_at_emc.com wrote:

> I've seen some issues when using libcurl. We are using Curl 7.10.5

Have you tried any more recent versions? We have released no more than 5
updates, and probably solved 100+ bugs since.

Also, what OS are you running this on? Did you build it yourself?

> 1) Our program is crashing out on us at the same place every time (see red
> line below).

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/etiquette.html#html

My text is all white! :-)

> "string out = outbuf.str();"

Uh, this is not code in libcurl. This is your code.

> The thing that makes this all the more hard to debug is that we have no
> debug or trace information when it does crash. The program just stops and
> not core file or error log.

Programs don't just "stop" on most operating systems. Some kind of exception
usually happens and that is usually available to see/detect.

If nothing else, running the program in a debugger usually make the debugger
stop at the offending code.

> Is there some setting we must set in order to get debug info???

If this is a crash inside libcurl, then you'll get better results if you build
(and link) with a libcurl that has debug symbols included. docs/BUGS has some
clues on how that is doen on *nix systems.

> 2) The http request we are making sometimes fails to return

You mean it returns nothing? Or that it just hangs?

> and I tried to use the CURLOPT_TIMEOUT setting below to interrupt a request.
> This has not worked for me though.

Can you provide a test source code showing a non-working example?

> Is there another setting that needs to be set in conjunction with
> CURLOPT_TIMEOUT??

Not to simply timeout no.