Re: Digest auth fails after 5 minuts of idling

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:52:07 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, mitz wark wrote:

> I am seeing a problem where libcurl fails to authenticate against the server
> using Digest if the connection gets idles over 5 minuts or so. I can
> reproduce this every time using this simple code. Is this a known bug? Am
> I missing some curl option to use? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Oh!

No, this is not a known bug. It is brand new to me. I can see why it happens,
but I have no quick work-around and no fix right now.

The tricky part here is that HTTP provides a rather poor set of response codes
for these cases. We currently don't differentiate between a 401-response
because the server wants to re-negotiate the Digest and a 401-response as
returned when we provide bad credentials in a Digest authorization header.

I'll add this bug to the TODO-RELEASE document to get fixed for 7.11.2. If
anyone has any clues or code to offer, step forward!