Re: release countdown

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:17:45 +0100

On Mar 18, 0:18, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>Hey
>
>If you have _anything_ you want addressed in the upcoming public release,
>raise your hand now.
[...]

I have been looking a little at getting an SSL build on SGI to work out of
the box, but I haven't yet figured out a clean way to do it (there are ugly
ways too, of course), as I'm still not too much into autoconf/configure.
This is not critically important though because by hacking in some symlinks
from e.g. /usr/local/lib to the actual location of openssl a dedicated builder
can still get it building I guess. But it would still be nice if it would
"just work".

The problem is that on SGI you can't simply use --with-ssl=/some_dir, because
configure would then add -L/some_dir/lib, which is incorrect most of the
time. IRIX supports 3 different executable/object formats, -32, -n32 and -64.
-n32 is default 32-bit format, -32 is the "old" 32-bit format, and -64 is
the 64-bit format. Libraries for the different formats are in lib, lib32
and lib64 respectively. (This is actually a much nicer way of doing it than
on e.g. AIX, where there's just 'lib'. So, on AIX you could build and install
either a 32-bit library or a 64-bit library, but not both.)
Oh, and the finished curl library should be installed in the correct directory
too of course, my autobuilds are not testing this obviously but I assume
that a default build would simply install in /usr/local/lib/.

curl/aclocal.m4 actually detects which compiler mode you're using, so that
seems to be a good place to start. The code is all there (search for irix6),
it's just to set a variable to lib, lib32 or lib64. Then that info has to be
carried over to configure.ac, but I'm not sure how that's done. In that file
the expression LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$EXTRA_SSL/lib" would have to be changed
slightly, that final 'lib' would have to be a variable, carried over from
aclocal.m4 I guess.

And libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib' should probably also be changed so that
we would get lib, lib32 or lib64, depending on the format. This part
isn't actually as critical as that SSL detection, as there's an easy
workaround: 'make install libdir=/usr/freeware/lib32' or whatever.
But I'm not sure how to do it properly. I haven't spent much time
looking at it yet though, time's a bit short around here for the moment.
Maybe someone could come up with some hints based on the above info.

-Tor