Re: connection reuse, NTLM, multi-interface

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:07:40 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Christopher R. Palmer wrote:

> There are three requests sent:
>
> 1. unauthenticated request, returns 401 with a "Connection: close".
> 2. NTLM request sent, server replies with a challenge
> 3. NTLM response sent, server sends the data
>
> In between steps 1 and 2, I am encountering periodic failures where the
> library tries to re-use the connection. I can fix the problem by changing
> adding "check->bits.close" to the test on line 1461 of url.c (7.11.0 or 1476
> of the 20040226 snapshot), making it:

Very accurate report and analysis. Thanks for that!

While your suggested work-around probably solves the immediate problem for
you, it certainly indicates a previous problem in the code. Connections that
are marked for closure should be removed from the cache. The check you added
should not be required.

I haven't had time to write up a proper test case that repeats your problem,
but I've read some source code and I would ask you to try the attached patch
to see if it possibly solves the problem for you!