Re: CURLE_GOT_NOTHING on slow connections

From: Joe Halpin <j.p.h_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:25:39 -0600

I just ran a couple tests in gdb on my linux box, and (with the patch I
sent) I get a connection failed response when trying to connect to a
non-existent server (RST received in response to connect()).

It seems to me the fact that RST is being received indicates that it's
not a network latency issue. The tcpdump output you sent shows the RST
coming in a fraction of a second after the SYN. Also, Curl_connecthost()
calls connect() and then calls waitconnect() with a timeout of 0, so
there's very little time to decide that the connection succeeded or failed.

Assuming the server really is running on the host and port you're
connecting to, it does seem likely that there's a firewall or something
in the middle that's sending the RST.

I've been told Windows does some goofy things with RST, and that may be
the case here, but I don't know enough about Windows to say.

Joe