Re: Compiling with the Intel compiler

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:33:35 +0100

On Feb 26, 10:31, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>It looks as if my attempt to detect icc failed. Can you see in your config.log
>files if you can understand why the icc-test fails?
>
>It should preprocess a file with the symbol __ICC in it, and that symbol is
>assumed to be replaced with a version number (or something) when icc is used.
>Thus, if __ICC is present in the output, I assume the compiler truly is a gcc
>version. Perhaps __INTEL_COMPILER is a better symbol to use for this check?

Yes, replacing __ICC with __INTEL_COMPILER should work fine. It turns out
that __ICC is only defined on ia32, not defined on ia64. The manpage says
it's there for legacy reasons only, __INTEL_COMPILER seems to be the Right Way.
I verified that it's defined on both platforms, and also for the older icc 6.0
compiler. __INTEL_COMPILER=800 for version 8.0, 600 for 6.0 and so on.

-Tor