Re: Hangs through unresponsive proxy

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:06:06 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Russ Freeman wrote:

> I believe there is an issue with libcurl (I have tried the latest version)
> where an unresponsive proxy server causes an endless hang. It's quite easy
> to reproduce by simply setting the proxy name to be "localhost" and the port
> to something without a proxy on it (135).

I can't repeat it. Are you saying that the listening port reads the whole
request and never outputs any response?

> The code that loops is the " while (!done)" loop in Transfer (transfer.c).
> It just never gets done and " result = Curl_readwrite(conn, &done);" is
> never set...and around it goes.

Yes, if it gets no data and the connection is kept, then it sits there waiting
for a response. curl can't tell the difference from a slow response. You'd
need to set a timeout to make it bail out, or simply a slow-speed setting.

Or am I missunderstanding?