Re: FTP large file support patch (fwd)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:26:18 +0100 (CET)

Fair point by David Boyce:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:48:32 -0500
From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: FTP large file support patch
>Technically, we don't know that this type is 64bit and that's why _BIG is
>better in my opinion.
Daniel,
I can't respond to the list since I'm not a subscriber (I read you via
gmane.org) so am going straight to you. IMHO, _LARGE would serve you better
than _BIG since >2GB files are known technically as "large files". If I
understand correctly the standard interfaces were agreed to in a conference
known as the "Large File Summit". A Google search turns up this:
>This 2Gb limit was common for UNIX on 32-bit. At some point a number of
>UNIX vendors (well, some engineers from the major UNIX vendors and some
>major database and other applications vendors) got together and held a
>"summit" to discuss some way to overcome this limitation and to agree on a
>reasonably portable interface so that the ISV (the independent software
>vendors) could write reasonably portable code to cope with this change. So
>the specification that they agreed upon has been called the LFS ("large
>file summit" or "large file support").
And the name persists. E.g. on Solaris 9:
% man largefile | head -40
NAME
      largefile - large file status of utilities
DESCRIPTION
      A large file is a regular file whose size is greater than or
      equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). A small file is a regular file
      whose size is less than 2 Gbyte.
Therefore, while I agree with the previous poster that names like "big" are
overly general, "large" at least has a specific connotation. Note that the
definition of large is any file bigger than 2GB, not merely one whose
offsets must fit within a 64-bit pointer.
-David Boyce