Re: Curl and libcurl new installation

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:04:26 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:05:33PM -0800, Martel, Deborah wrote:
> I am trying to install CURL and LIBCURL from the Binaries/Install packages. We
> chose AIX 5.1 SSL. We are on the AIX 5.1 operating system and trying to run a
> C++ program compiled by our predecessors. The error we get while running our
> program is: "Could not load module libcurl.a<libcurl.so.2>". We have a
> libcurl.a file but not a libcurl.so.2 file.

I sounds like that program is dynamically linked to libcurl.so.2 so you're
on the right track. If there is a libcurl.so.2 file on the machine already
(somewhere), you may just need to point the dynamic loader to the directory
containing it. I'm not sure how to do that in AIX.

> We tried installing CURL based on the instructions at http://curl.haxx.se/docs/
> install.html with no success. We can't get through the first ./configure
> command because it doesn't exist. Also, where can I get a good copy of the
> LIBCURL with <libcurl.so.2>. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The install.html only applies to source distributions, not binary
distributions. Installing a binary archive is dependent on which package
you're installing. The UCLA AIX binary appears to be a standard compressed
tarball, but doesn't include the libcurl.so file. The Written Word binary
contains a .bff file which is probably an AIX-specific packaging format. If
you can't make sense of that, then just download the source archive and
follow the install.html instructions to make your own dynamic library.

>>> Dan