Re: curl /lib ftp.c

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:14:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> What does it take (i.e. how much work) to support Secure FTP too (aka FXP)?.
> Could OpenSSH's lib be used as a plugin as is done for LDAP?

I call that protocol 'sftp' and I've previously looked for volounteers to help
me implement it. There's also the 'scp' approch of course. Neither (sub-)
protocol has a URL syntax defined, AFAIK.

I haven't done much investigations on what the best approach to support it
would be, but it absolutely would be based on an existing implementation.
Writing a full SSH-protocol implementation from scratch seems like a huge
waste of time.

No one ever volounteered to help out, so I've put the whole idea on ice.

> I had a brief look at the PuTTY sources (a ssh client for Win/Unix) which
> has this. I only understand the difference briefly, but seems to me there
> alot more hosts running SSH than having ftps.

I think you're right, but then I also think that there's less need for a
library that supports sftp since there are lots of nicely made ssh tools.

So, would SSH-based file transfer protocols fit in libcurl? And if yes, what
library/libraries should they be based on for inclusion and who would be
willing to join the effort?

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]