Re: Performance problem

From: Stefan Sassenberg <stefan.sassenberg_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:13:04 +0100

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>> See? The 'Entering Passive Mode' is when the server says it has a
>> port open
>> for libcurl to connect to, and when the 'Connecting to 194.95.172.11'
>> text
>> shows up, libcurl has finished connecting. The time between those
>> events are
>> spent waiting for the TCP handshake.
>
> You could try to use the PORT option instead of PASV. I have seen
> similar delays with other servers, which disappeared when I used PORT.
> It's worth a try.

The packet sequence followed by the PASV command consists of 4 packets,
the last one addressed to port 21. This last packet has a delay of appr.
100ms. For my example of 100 files this brings me down to 50 seconds
when using PORT. Thank you very much. The major waste of time is still
the data transfer which takes 450ms avg. But I'm working on it :-)

Best regards

Stefan