Re: FTPS status report

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:44:27 -0800

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:11:02AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> > Does anyone use that existing behaviour (it seems that it implements
> > something like the "SSL connect" method mentioned at the web site you gave
> > the other day, but on port 21 instead of 990, right)?
>
> I don't know anyone that uses the current ftps behavior, so if there's anyone
> reading this who uses it, please speak up! And if there's anyone speaking up
> later on, I think we can deal with it then. The current approach is a big hack
> and I feel good about finally doing this "the right way".

Since the current curl behaviour doesn't seem to be even mentioned on that
explanatory page, hopefully that means noone is using it and noone will notice
if it changes. However, based on that page, it looks like a URL of
ftps://server:990/ using curl 10.7.8 probably will actually work on "SSL
connect" servers. It might be worthwhile to allow that behaviour as an
option in libcurl and make the front end automagically invoke that mode
when it gets a URL specifying port 990 directly, like the above.

>>> Dan