FTPS status report

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:39:31 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends

Thanks to Mathias Axelsson, I've been able to work on FTPS for libcurl and it
seems to work somewhat fine now.

The FTPS stuff is based on RFC2228 and the murray-auth-ftp-ssl draft (version
12). As I wrote before, there seems to exist quite a few servers that have
implemented the server side of this.

We can now use ftps:// URLs to explicitly switch on SSL/TSL for the control
connection and the data connection (dealing with two SSL connections forced me
to change a lot of stuff in libcurl).

Alternatively, and what seems to be the recommended way, we can set the new
option CURLOPT_FTP_SSL to one of these values:

     CURLFTPSSL_NOPE, - do not attempt to use SSL
     CURLFTPSSL_TRY - try using SSL, proceed anyway otherwise
     CURLFTPSSL_CONTROL - SSL for the control connection or fail
     CURLFTPSSL_ALL - SSL for all communication or fail

Any failure to set the desired level will make libcurl fail with the error
code CURLE_FTP_SSL_FAILED. This new option makes a "normal" ftp:// transfer
attempt to be made securely.

I've been able to login and get files (passively) from Mathias' server using
both ftps:// and CURLOPT_FTP_SSL. (I've made 'curl' understand the --ftp-ssl
option that sets CURLFTPSSL_TRY.)

What's left to do here is:

* commit changes to CVS
* Fix the test suite's FTPS tests (or disable them until they work again)
* Try FTPS uploading
* Try active FTPS
* Try FTPS on other server brands (Mathias runs a RaidenFTPd server)

Questions or comments?

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]