Re: a proftpd or curl bug or what?

From: Henrik Storner <henrik_at_hswn.dk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:33:34 +0100

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:07:39PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Please bear with me, as this is a rather long and complicated mail, but I do
> need some help with some analyzing of what I've found out here.

[long cut]

I can confirm that this behaviour exists with ProFTPd 1.2.9. It is
not curl-specific; I reproduced this behaviour simply by connecting
to the ftp server with telnet and feeding it the commands by hand.

The problem seems to occur only if you disconnect the data-connection
between the failed retrieval and the successful one. I.e. this sequence
fails:

1) EPSV
2) client connects to data port
3) RETR nosuchfile
4) error message
5) client disconnects from data port
6) EPSV
7) client connects to data port (the same)
8) RETR okfile
9) server says OK

If you leave out step 5 and 7 (i.e. keep the data connection open),
then the transfer completes OK.

I am not familiar enough with the FTP RFC's to say if this is an
error in the FTP server or wrong behaviour by the client. But it
looks like a server bug.

--
Henrik Storner <henrik_at_hswn.dk>