Re: [ curl-Patches-831843 ] Add --head support for file: protocol

From: David Hull <hull_at_paracel.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:19:55 -0800

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I realize this code was copied from lib/ftp.c and the problem might
> exist there too, but in the case of FTP the time zone given by the
> server is not known!

According to some (non-definitive) information I found through google,
the ftp MDTM command returns the time in UTC (and this is true of our
ftp server).

I wrote:
> The call to localtime/localtime_r should be to gmtime/gmtime_r.
> The same change needs to be made in ftp.c.

I'm wrong, ftp.c is OK for "--head".

The ftp_getfiletime gets the files modification time using MDTM, but
calls curl_getdate without specifying a time zone, so apparently the
local time zone is assumed. Then, in ftp_perform, localtime is used
to convert into a struct tm, but the strftime format string specifies
"GMT". The two "mistakes" cancel out.

It seems to me like both ftp_getfiletime and ftp_perform should be
changed to use UTC. However, I'm not sure if this would break the
TIMECOND_IFMODSINCE and TIMECOND_IFUNMODSINCE code.

--
David Hull