portability with programs using libcurl

From: Jay <james_at_mor-pah.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:33:44 +0100

hi, i am currently coding a program in C that uses libcurl. On the FreeBSD-UNIX system that i coded the program it works like a treat, but the system has libcurl installed, with the libraries in the usual directories, "/usr/local/lib/" and the headers in the usual directory etc. I now wish to port my program to system that don't have libcurl installed by default. I distributed the curl libs with my program and compiled with -L./libs/ -lcurl and the program compiled perfectly no errors (using gcc). I also included the headers into my program. When i come to executing the binary output, i get the following. /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcurl.so.2" not found, however, if i set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the shell to the ./libs/ which contains the libcurl libs, the program executes as it should. Is there something i can do so that when someone wants to use it on a system that doesn't have libcurl, they don't have to do LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./libs/ etc.

Jay