Apache broken by curl upgrade

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have an old (and quite obsolete) Apache installation laying around
on my desktop PC. I don't use it for anything serious, but I do
fire it up once in a while, to debug a PHP script or something.

After upgrading from curl 7.10.7 to 7.10.8pre1 (from cvs)
I was surprised to find that apache will no longer start.

It seems that Apache tries to load PHP, which tries to load libcurl,
but fails because of undefined references to the libz/ssl stuff.

So I did some diffing around and found this comment in the
curl/lib/Makefile:
  # We don't need the libs when we build the lib, they are
  # needed when linking the app later.
  LIBS =

So I added the :
  LIBS = -lz -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz
back into the Makefile, rebuilt/re-installed libcurl,
and now apache is working fine again.

This is no big deal to me, since my apache installation
is not much more than a "toy" anyway, but I wonder if
other users might experience the same problem?

Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Linux/SuSE) mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.1.0