Re: CURLOPT_VERBOSE: a small proposal

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:26:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Mohun Biswas wrote:

> Whenever I run my libcurl application in CURLOPT_VERBOSE mode the URL gets
> printed in its curl_escaped() form, resulting in that barely readable
> mishmash we're all familar with ("name=foo%2D1%2E95%2E6...."). Would it
> make sense to add another curl_easy_setopt() flag that would curl_unescape()
> it before printing so we could see the "real" URL?

I don't think so. VERBOSE is for debugging and similar purposes, and the URL
it shows in the output is the same URL it got from the server. Not to mention
that lots of the %-codes won't be printable.

> My app generates URLs on the fly, and when debugging it would be nice to see
> whether a problem arose because I made the URL wrong.

There's nothing that stops you from using a DEBUGFUNCTION to receive that
string, and if you think that is a good idea you can translate URLs as you see
fit.

> I might be able to make the patch if agreed, though I have no idea what to
> call the option.

I'm sorry, but I think it is far too specific feature for a very odd case. And
you can implement it already yourself without too much trouble.