non-transfering operations with FTP

From: Patrick Baker <pbaker_at_ca.stilo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:03:53 -0400

Hi,

Is it possible to do operations on a remote machine via the FTP protocol
that do not involve transferring a file? For example:

   - delete a file
   - list a directory
   - determine if a file exists
   - determine if a directory exists

I am trying to provide an API with normal (local-file-system) semantics that
will work with remote files (using FTP under the hood). The idea is that the
same interface will work regardless of whether the user is working with a
local file of a remote file. I would like to support the operations listed
above, but as far as I can tell, libcurl always wants the URL of a file to
transfer. How can I delete a remote file without transferring some
(arbitrary) other file at the same time?

tia,

Patrick Baker