Re: >2 GB file support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:19:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Rob Braun wrote:

> So, I have libcurl downloading >2GB files with the patch I'm attaching to
> this mail. This is a preliminary patch that has several caveats:

Nice! I'm thrilled to see that someone finally took the bull by the horn!
Thanks.

> 1) I have only tested http/https downloads. I haven't tested ftp, although
> the changes should work for ftp as well.

We would need to adjust some file sizing parser functions accordingly in the
ftp.c source file, but it would only be a matter of doing the same kind of
replacement as you've done here.

> 2) This adds a new type "filesize_t", which I've simply #defined to int64_t.
> This should be autoconf'd to something more reasonable.

You can leave that part to me. I'll work on it separately.

> 3) This change is binary incompatible with the existing libcurl. This
> changes the size of several libcurl structures, and the parameters to
> several functions.

I see that you changed your mind about this in your subequent mail. We should
make sure that *if* we need to break binary compliance, we document this
carefully.

I'm awaiting your improved version!