Re: [REPOST] buildconf for Windows?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:56:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Early Ehlinger wrote:

> Sorry for the slow response.

No worries.

> I'm not sure exactly what I'm reading in the attached log, but it looks to
> me like the configure script isn't checking for libws2_32 when it checks for
> socket support. I assume that's why it's checking for gethostbyname,
> anyways.

No, it checks for gethostbyname to figure out if it needs any particular libs
to use it. Some systems do.

Around line 900 you can see the test program configure generates and compiles
to see if gethostbyname works with no extra libs, and that it fails.

Can you make a stand-alone c program like that and figure out what mingw needs
in order to make it compile?

> If anybody knows how to add libws2_32 to the list of libraries that
> configure checks, I'd be willing to bet we'd be one step closer to
> supporting ./configure && make && make install for MinGW.

I know how.

For an easy test, just change the line in configure.ac (around line 246) that
checks for gethostbyname in the nsl lib, to instead check for it in the
libws2_32. Then run autoconf and re-run configure.

I *think* the proper fix is to replace that line (and the next condition) with
a single:

 AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gethostbyname, nsl socket ws2_32)